Friday, September 12, 2014

Friday Flowers #5

Where are the weeks going so fast?  before we know it, Thanksgiving plans will be underway.  I am still holding onto summer around here...very lightly though..ready to let go and embrace fall..how about you?

gomphrena


This is one of only 2 blooms of globe amaranth or gomphrena that I have this year.. it is strawberry fields and is supposed to be red.  It is more of an orange red to me..  But I love it and plant it year after year even though it is not a very good producer in my yard. The blooms dry really well and I always use whatever I have in my house.  It loves the heat and full sun..  I hope this helps, Bonnie .


Alabama sunset coleus

This sun loving coleus never disappoints. Every year I plant one and then root several for around the yard. It takes about a week to get really good roots if you cut some and put it in a vase or jar of water.
This plant was rooted from the mother plant a few months ago..




Jerusalem artichoke flowers
 This is another tried and true flower for the late, late summer garden.  Jerusalem artichoke..  If you ever get them in your garden, they will always be there.  I allowed a patch of them to grow in the back corner of my vegetable garden.  They grow tall and bloom profusely in September and October.  and the roots are edible and very trendy too...

Seems like the order of the day is tried and true late summer/ early fall flowers.  All of these are no trouble at all and pest free.


We visited Waynesville, NC yesterday and had a beautiful ride up in the mountains.  I took some pictures and will share them with you as well as the cute little restaurant and the farm stand where we always stop.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. and that you find something to be expectant about and remain hopeful..  There are always some flowers if you just look...

Love,
Mona


I am watching these buds and can't wait to share the flowers



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers and plants. I like the plant with the red leaves. You must have a super green thumb your photos always look spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mona, your flowers are beautiful. Mine are terrible as we have had such HOT weather and no rain that everything is drying up and we have to conserve water. I can hardly wait for our FALL to arrive and hopefully we will have a lot of rain this winter. Your trip sounds really nice - looking forward to your post.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not know these but love yellow flowers always. I went to a huge plant sale a a wholesalers yesterday and bought a swamp hibiscus. I used to have one and now I must find a place for this one. They were selling blooming hydrangeas for $6 but I am out of room and watering space.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, Is Anybody Out There?

  Sometimes I wonder if there is even any interest in my blog anymore.  If anybody would read it if I wrote again.  Well, if you are out the...