Thursday, December 22, 2011

Bert's Rum Cake

 
rum cake
 
Here is the recipe for a cake I have been making for several years at Christmastime.....it had become a tradition and I know Christmas is really close when I put this cake in the oven..I am not much of a baker but this cake is one I bake every year and it is always a BIG hit...
 
 
 
 
Bert's Rum Cake
 
(Makes 1 large Bundt cake or 12 Bundtlette cakes )
 
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 box yellow cake mix
1 box (3.4 oz) vanilla instant pudding mix
1/2 cup light rum
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
4 eggs
 
GLAZE
1 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 - 3/4 cup light rum
1/4 cup water
 
Preheat oven to 350.  Spray a 12 cup bundt pan or 2 - 6 bundtlette pans with cooking oil spray with flour.  Sprinkle chopped pecans over bottom.  Stir cake mix and pudding together in large mixing bowl.  Add rum,  water, oil and eggs.  Beat for 2 minutes with an electric mixer.  Pour cake batter over nuts and bake for 45-50 minutes.  If you are making the smaller cakes, spoon batter evenly into each mold (about 2/3 cup each) and bake for 20 minutes.
 
5 minutes before cake is done, prepare the glaze.  Place sugar, butter,  rum and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan and boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
 
Remove cake(s) from oven and with a fork poke holes in cake and slowly drizzle the glaze over the top while cake is still hot.  It will take several applications to use all the glaze.  Cool cake in pan for 30 minutes before unmolding.  Finish cooling on a wire rack





ENJOY!!   this cake is delicious.....  I just wish I had cooked this cake for my Mama before she died....she loved rum cake....so I got this honest....

1 comment:

  1. Can't find 3.4 oz. vanilla instant pudding mix. Use a 5oz size or 2 1.85 oz size?

    ReplyDelete

Hello, Is Anybody Out There?

  Sometimes I wonder if there is even any interest in my blog anymore.  If anybody would read it if I wrote again.  Well, if you are out the...